Tuesday 21 May 2013

Hicks "adolescent"

So through twitter I have met a few like minded souls and I am going to start doing a few underground reviews based on some recommendations.

Which brings us to this Hicks joint. I enjoyed this and listened to it over my morning coffee. I found myself bangin my head at some points, which is impressive for the morning :-) Although I enjoyed it there where some downfalls (for me) that i am quickly going to get off my chest, as the good certainly outweighs bad.

Some of the tracks were way to poppy for my taste ("dont judge me" in particular) but thats "my" taste. Also I think some of the guest vocals let him down at some points. The dudes double time in the track "out of my mind" is up there with the best of them and the content of that first verse blew my mind! Not saying the other mc's are no good I just think that was a banger as a solo track and I would have loved it to stay that way.

Now on too the good. Overall this is a good effort and his rhymes are descriptive, meaningful and on point. His double time is flawless and content relevant. Once again I have to mention the double time. The track "im a boss" really showcases his talent and it blew me away!

The biggest positive for me was this guys tone and flow. He sounds great! His flow is impecable and his sound is so unique and individual I have not heard anything of the like. This leaves doors open for this young mc as he carves his name all over these beats, and I think future work from this dude will only be better.

Overall a really decent effort. Keep an eye on this dude as he has razor sharp flow and tone for days! There is room for improvement but this only leaves me waiting with baited breath for another release. The only thing I would love to see in the next release is better song structure. Sometimes if a track starts of strong with one banger mc, keep that going. Sometimes less is more.

Stand out tracks...
Out of my mind
Im a boss

2.5 out of 5

1 comment:

  1. Forgot to mention the link!!!http://www.hotnewhiphop.com/hicks-adolescent-mixtape.84171.html

    Go and peep this dude!

    ReplyDelete